Appalachian Mountain Club
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), America’s oldest conservation, education and recreation organization, is now searching for a Maine Education & Program Manager! As the Maine Education & Program Manager, you will be responsible for the coordination and delivery of high quality, four season outdoor programs in two service areas: the Maine Woods Community Youth and Environment Project (MWCYEP) and the Maine Woods Initiative (MWI) Programs.
MWCYEP, a component of AMC’s A Mountain Classroom Program, works closely with a variety of community partners to provide environmental education, youth positive development and outdoor recreation learning experiences to youth from Piscataquis County and Jackman, Maine. Responsibilities include program design, scheduling, curriculum decisions and logistics. Direct field instruction with youth, teachers and families is an important part of this role. Programs include day-long and overnight outdoor experiences.
For the MWI Programs, the Maine Education & Program Manager will coordinate the implementation of pre-scheduled day and overnight outdoor guided adventures, special events and recreational experiences for adults and families at AMC’s Maine Wilderness Lodges and on the MWI Conservation Lands.
Responsibilities include coordinating field instructional staff to lead outdoor recreation trips, experiential courses and educational opportunities to instruct and enlighten visitors and guests at the AMC’s MWI backcountry facilities.
The position is responsible for the hiring, training and supervision of two full-time, year-round Field Instructors and will be required to successfully collaborate and communicate with AMC staff at multiple locations to achieve diverse programmatic goals.
Qualifications & Experience:
– Four-year college degree in Environmental Education, Earth Science, Outdoor Recreation or Natural Resources Management or other combinations of relevant education and experience.
– 3-5 years of demonstrated and progressively increasing environmental or outdoor leadership experience, including experiential program delivery, wilderness trip leading or ecology education.
– Demonstrated management experience. Ability to promote staff development and teamwork. Cooperative approach to working with others in a large and diverse organization.
– Ability to perform work in a remote camp setting and travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions, carrying up to 40 pounds of gear. Work is also performed in a standard office setting.
– Valid Wilderness First Aid certification or the ability to obtain (WFR or WEMT preferred).
– Maine Guide registration or the ability to obtain.
– Valid Maine driver’s license or the ability to obtain and DOT certification.
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
– Excellent organizational skills for a fast-paced and changeable program schedule.
– Competent with Microsoft Office suite of programs.
– Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends. This includes performing on-call duties for youth and adult programs on a rotating basis as well as managing field evacuations and hospital visits in collaboration with other MWI employees.
Note: AMC will cover the costs for professional training and certifications required by this position, including both Wilderness First Aid and Registered Maine Guide.
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
To apply for this job please visit www.salary.com.