Sappi Somerset is among the largest paper mills in North America, producing over 970,000 metric tons of graphics and board paper and 530,000 metric tons of pulp each year. The mill began as a greenfield pulp mill in 1976, supplying fiber for Scott paper tissue mills. The first of three state-of-the-art coated paper machines was installed in 1982, with subsequent machines installed in 1986 and 1990. Significant reinvestments over the years has maintained Somerset’s edge on technology and also to branch out from traditional graphic paper into SBS board grades with the rebuild of PM1 in 2018. The mill can also produce market pulp based on fiber balance, and continues to push for world class status in the realms of safety, quality, and productivity.
Position (job title): Forest Technician
Work Site: Mill Somerset
This position offers the opportunity for professional development in a vibrant, forward-thinking environment with a team of highly skilled foresters and forest technicians.
The successful candidate will support the licensed foresters with managing private woodlots, both large and small, and help support timber harvesting operations throughout Maine and northern New Hampshire. Candidate will promote and practice good forest stewardship to meet the goals of the landowners we work with, while upholding our SFI certification. In the technician role, the candidate will have the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to ultimately step up into a procurement forester position.
- Strong value for safety
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Associate or bachelor degree in forestry
- Must be able to attain or hold a Maine Forester’s License
- Must have valid state driver’s license
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Office Suite and ARC GIS mapping systems
- Understanding of Maine forestry regulations
- General Understanding of forestry certification
- Knowledge of the forest markets
- Willingness to travel throughout Maine and northern New Hampshire
- Strong enthusiasm for professional career development
- Forestry or forest internship experience
- Experience writing forest management plans
- Experience procuring standing timber
- Experience working with private forest landowners
HR Contact for Questions: Jaime M Sayers
Contact Information: 207-238-3496, email@example.com
Sappi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sappi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply for this job please visit careers.sappi.com.