State of Maine
(PUBLIC SERVICE COORDINATOR I
Opening Date: November 09, 2023
Closing Date: November 27, 2023
Position #: 08330-1580
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Class Code: CA28
Grade/Salary: Grade 28 (Confidential) – $60,632.00 – $82,825.60/Annually
The Department of Administrative & Financial Services is an innovative organization that coordinates a number of central services for agencies within Maine State Government. The Natural Resources Service Center provides financial and budgetary management services as well as human resource and employee relations services to the four natural resource agencies of state government and Baxter State Park. This position provides budgetary and financial analysis to the Department of Environmental Protection.
JOB DUTIES: As a Financial Analyst at the Department of Administrative and Financial Services in the Natural Resources Service Center, you will be responsible for providing in-depth and continuous analysis of departmental finances. You will work closely with the Service Center Director and other Financial Analysts, executive and senior management at the assigned agency and the Bureau of the Budget. Qualified candidates must have excellent communication skills in addition to a strong financial background. This position is located in Augusta.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: An eight (8) year combination of education and experience comprised of a Master’s Degree in Business Administration or closely related field and two (2) years of responsible experience in cost, cost/benefit, and financial analysis. Directly related experience may be substituted for education but must demonstrate comprehension and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) guidelines.
The background of well-qualified candidates will demonstrate the following competencies:
1. A thorough and mature comprehension of Maine state laws, rules, regulations, policies, and other directives from central control agencies that directly impact program operations and management at the agency level.
2. A proven ability to effectively communicate with diverse group dynamics.
3. Demonstrated skill in fostering positive teamwork in a collaborative spirit to resolve difficult matters.
4. A proven and demonstrated ability to provide budgetary analyses for senior management, including revenue and expenditure forecasting.
5. Comprehension of the financial, budgetary, and accounting systems and processes employed by both the executive and legislative branches of state government and how they impact program management.
No matter where you work across Maine state government, you find employees who embody our state motto—”Dirigo” or “I lead”—as they provide essential services to Mainers every day. We believe in supporting our workforce’s health and wellbeing with a valuable total compensation package, including:
• Work-Life Balance – Rest is essential. Take time for yourself using 13 paid holidays, 12 days of sick leave, and 3+ weeks of vacation leave. Vacation leave accrual increases with years of service, and overtime-exempt employees receive personal leave.
• Health Insurance Coverage– The State of Maine pays 85%-100% of employee-only premiums ($9,893.52-$11,057.52 annual value), depending on salary. Use this chart to find the premium costs for you and your family, including the percentage of dependent coverage paid by the State.
• Health Insurance Premium Credit– Participation decreases employee-only premiums by 5%. Visit the Office of Employee Health and Wellness for more information about program requirements.
• Dental Insurance– The State of Maine pays 100% of employee-only dental premiums ($350.40 annual value).
• Retirement Plan– The State of Maine contributes 17.80% of pay to the Maine Public Employees Retirement System (MainePERS), on behalf of the employee.
• Gym Membership Reimbursement– Improve overall health with regular exercise and receive up to $40 per month to offset this expense.
• Health and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts– Set aside money pre-tax to help pay for out-of-pocket health care expenses and/or daycare expenses.
• Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness– The State of Maine is a qualified employer for this federal program. For more information, visit the Federal Student Aid office.
• Living Resources Program – Navigate challenging work and life situations with our employee assistance program.
• Parental leave is one of the most important benefits for any working parent. All employees who are welcoming a child—including fathers and adoptive parents—receive four weeks of fully paid parental leave. Additional, unpaid leave may also be available, under the Family and Medical Leave Act.
• Voluntary Deferred Compensation– Save additional pre-tax funds for retirement in a MaineSaves 457(b) account through payroll deductions.
• Learn about additional wellness benefits for State employees from the Office of Employee Health and Wellness.
There’s a job and then there’s purposeful, transformative work. Our aim is to create a workplace where you can learn, grow, and continuously refine your skills. Applicants demonstrate job requirements in differing ways, and we appreciate that many skills and backgrounds can make people successful in this role.
As an Equal Opportunity employer, Maine State Government embraces a culture of respect and awareness. We are committed to creating a strong sense of belonging for all team members, and our process ensures an inclusive environment to applicants of all backgrounds including diverse race, color, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, physical or mental disability, religion, age, ancestry, national origin, familial status or genetics.
If you’re looking for a great next step, and want to feel good about what you do, we’d love to hear from you. Please note reasonable accommodations are provided to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Thinking about applying?
Research shows that people from historically excluded communities tend to apply to jobs only when they check every box in the posting. If you’re currently reading this and hesitating to apply for that reason, we encourage you to go for it! Let us know how your lived experience and passion set you apart
To apply for this job please visit www.salary.com.